Need a vegetarian stuffing option at your holiday table? Look no further than this recipe from Simple Squares. Vegetarians and carnivores alike will be asking for seconds! Ingredients:
- 1 lb bread – dense country white best – cut into cubes
- 2-3 tsp dried sage
- 6 TBS unsalted butter
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 6 stalks celery
- 1 lb mushrooms (wild or button)
- 1 8 ox can jellied cranberry sauce, beaten thin
- 1-2 cups apple juice
- 1 sage Simple Square
- Fresh sage for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350. Toast bread cubes on a baking sheet for about 20 minutes, stirring once or twice, until lightly browned. Transfer to large mixing bowl. Add dried sage.
- Butter 9×13 baking dish.
- Sautee celery, leeks in butter 2-3 minutes. Add chopped mushrooms and sautee until soft. Add vegetables to bowl. Add cranberry. Add apple juice, a little at a time, until the mixture is damp but not mushy.
- Crumble Simple Square on top.
- Bake covered for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 minutes. Garnish with sage sprigs and serve hot.